venerdì 20 dicembre 2013

Feeling Home at San Francisco

Landing in the Sun

Day 3: December 18th

The departure was at 12:38, I didn't want to do much in the morning so I just took my time and and went to the airport, slowly.

I ate a shitty chilli and boarded on the plane. I was worried that I couldn't take both my luggage and the backpack, but it was fine. Remember this if you're flying with United Airlines. They also checked-in my luggage for free because there wasn't enough space on board.

I slept for the most part of the (brief) flight, as with Portland I didn't do any research for San Francisco, and I didn't know what to expect. I like surprises.

The sensation when getting off the plane was remarkable, for the first time in days I saw the Sun, no mountains, just a flat surface covered in bright light. Dude... I missed you. 

I felt really good walking through the airport, it reminded Rome with all the busy people and the chaos. I thoughtthis place feels like home.

I took the train and reached the city centre. The city was vibrating, all people around, a big, nice street tapered with tall building made of glass. This reinforced my feeling of excitement and amazement. You feel part of something by merely walking in this lively city. Again, feels like home.

I can try to describe the hostel, but I 'll use a picture and a single word: hippie

Just look at this psychedelic carpet and the old crappy piano in the middle of the room. And the dude on the left, this guy never left this spot for the rest of the day. Room was clean and nice. Spent the rest of the night with friends of a friend, and gathering information for the following days.

More on the hostel later.

Spontaneous Exploration

Day 4: 19th December

The hostel is near Chinatown and Little Italy. Upon recommendation of a friend, I screwed the free breakfast and headed out to a nice Italian coffee shop (we call them bar). And fuck the jacket, despite the fact that everyone was overdressed for the climate, it was warm outside.

I took a pretty authentic Cappuccino and Tiramisu. I meditated and did some serious people watching for about an hour. There was also the same Aprilia scooter I used to drive in Rome. Miss ya.

I head back to the hostel to finish some work and book the Seattle hostel. On the way I see an interesting police scene. There were two undercover cops immobilizing a guy in a parking lot.  What the hell, it was my first time seeing this kind of police action, they put the guy face down on the ground. I just kept walking... wow.

I was about to open my laptop when I hear speaking Italian from the kitchen. "Why not?" I thought.

"Ciao", I said. "Ciao", he said. Two Italian guys were talking in the kitchen, I was the one with the shorter hair... and without dreadlocks. I talked with Egidio and Gabriele (oh yes, just like me)from Rome as wellabout Roman things, and also other things... which I can't disclose. Let's say something Vancouver is famous for.

After a while I go back to ask him a very important question, "Where can I find a Carbonara fatta bene?"

"In your home, no way you can find it here," He said. After another brief conversation he concluded, "Divertiti! C'e' un sacco di gnocca in giro, non farti fregare, non ti innamorare." Which in English means, "Have fun! There's a lot of pretty girls around, but don't fall in love!".

Financial District

I started my spontaneous exploration of San Francisco, using my phone and my feelings as a guide. I decided to explore the Financial District neighbourhood. This is the same place I ended up when got off the train. It's the neighbourhood of banks and businessman. Tall buildings and skyscrapers.

Walking in this district was a pleasure, I missed a lot the action and hectic life in Vancouver. I mean, hectic life all-year around is pretty stressful, but sometimes it's good. After a quick lunch I decided that I wanted to shop something, and I started from the Ferry Building, near the sea.

The Shopping Quest

Well, there's ton of shopping in San Francisco, it surprised me positively on this front. Ferry Building is a place full of local (expensive) products, palm trees, and a nice view. Look at that, look at the sun. 
I like the the combination of the blue sky, the sun and the skyscrapers, it looks pretty cool.

Under recommendation of another friend (thanks!) I went to Ross, this place has a lot of high quality clothes left unsold for a variety of reasons. and they re-sell it for dirty cheap. For example I bought a Calvin Klein belt 15$ and some extra socks. For pants and shirts you have to either be lucky or have unusual sizes, cause the common sizes sell out pretty quickly. If you ever go to San Francisco, do yourself a favour and test your luck in this shop. It's going to be rewarding.

I also stopped by the most famous San Francisco mall, Westfield. One of the nicest mall I've ever been. Since it's developed on 8 relatively small floors, it's big but easy to navigate. Dancing break:

Alone in the Pub

It was 8:30 and I was craving for non-Chinese food. I went to the closest bar near the hostel. It was the first time for me to go alone at a bar. Well, it was weird. The closest thing to a human interaction I had that night was a flying cup of water from a woman who was plainly crazy, the guy in front of me got soaked, I just received the cup. And no, no one knew that woman.

You know, San Francisco is full of weirdos, really.

Anyway.

Egidio... I didn't really talk to any pretty woman that day, nor I got in love. 

1 commento:

  1. Dude, Ross is a chain store. It has outlets all across the US (like 1000 stores)

    RispondiElimina