mercoledì 18 dicembre 2013

Angry Squirrels, Labyrinths and I Should Cut My Hair

Let's start directly with my favourite part.

I didn't know anything about Portland, the mission for the morning was finding what to do.
I sat and turned on my laptop. My laptop is a bulky black box with an evil red-lighted keyboard. I was plugging the charger when I hear "that's dramatic."

The blonde sitting next to me broke the ice. I said, "Oh yes it is. I've never been to Portland, or to the US for that matter. Where should I go? Give me a recommendation."
She said, "I just moved here, didn't visited around a lot, but they told me that there's some hiking going on in Forest Park, I'll show you..."

The blonde showed me directions on Google Maps, and I learned from her that the streets are in alphabetical order so that I can't go wrong. Thanks blonde, you sensed right, I always get lost.

After that I spent a little time searching for other stuff to do, quickly got bored and at 10:00 am I headed out to Forest Park, deferring the planning for the afternoon. The sky was gray, Portland is gray and I felt a little bit gloomy.

Forest Park: The Angry Squirrel

I took a random hike at Forest Park, more like a forest than a park, taking my time to observe the moss-covered trees and making myself ridiculous by taking some selfies on the way. Destiny (or chance) reserved to me a nice surprise, I met a squirrel on a tree, and it looked pretty pissed. I think animals are less scared of you when you're alone, even if they're still pissed. Give yourself 30 secs to watch this video.

After the hike I arrived to a place which was supposed to have the best view of Portland, oh yeah, amazing.

The Labyrinth, I should go to a barber shop

So after this trip I finally found inspiration for the afternoon, grabbed the phone, "Where's the closest Thai?." I descended the hill on a series of streets that decidedly look like spaghetti.


I asked for directions many times and heavily used my GPS. At a certain point a man born in the 50's stopped me: "I've been living here for years, and I still get lost. You should go down there, and if you keep going, there's a barber shop on the left. Your hair is a mess."

The man was willing to waste some time so he insisted that I used his map, no matter if my device has a map, a navigator, GPS and the whole power of internet a fingertip away. I accepted his help, and pretended I was actually using the paper map, cause it was fun.

After 40 minutes I arrived at Red Onion Thai Restaurant, and that's my favourite part again.

Best Halibut ever, crispy and dry, just a little bit spicy... awesome.

The City of Books

After that I walked other 40 minutes to visit Portland Downtown, my impression was that there was no one around. Or maybe it was just cause I wondered without a real purpose. I would have liked to go to the Japanese or Chinese gardens in Portland, but I changed my mind because of the fog.

I visited this Powell's City of Books in Pearl District, the shopping area of the city (I think?). Powell's is a massive books store, made on 3 floors packed with used books. A shitload of books. I didn't even bother looking at them, there was simply too much stuff to be able to contemplate it.

The Night

"A tall light roast, please." After this trip I felt exhausted and stopped at a Starbucks close to the hostel for a coffee, cream and sugar. And that's the first coffee of this blog. I love the coffee culture in North America, sitting in a coffee shop taking your time and sipping a coffee, it's my meditation.
Back at the hostel I went in the common area to write those posts and I was literally assaulted by the other guests.

"Can I tell you something? You look like Jesus." This South Korean guy sat in front of me with a great desire to talk. He was an graduated English literature major visiting Portland for a week (to see what exactly?). We did some smalltalk and he later insisted that I look like Jesus, "Do many people tell you that you look like Jesus?"

After that I was asked by other hostel people to grab a beer. I turned them down, since I was tired and wanted to write. They were from Vancouver too, and they live in Dunbar, and take 99 B-Line to UBC. Basically neighbours. There was the blonde too, she was happy I followed her advice.

My experience of Portland was brief, it didn't impress me. Portland is a green city and the obsession with recycling and green shit is apparent. From the cloth towels at the hostel to the paper bags in the supermarkets, and recycling bin everywhere. I though the US would be much cheaper than Canada, I find that for common items the price difference is marginal. Maybe just an impression? Portlanders are nice people, not as nice as Vancouverites/Canadians though (unbeatable I guess.)

Portland gave me the feeling of a quite and small city, not much life going on. It was an interesting experience anyway, and I imagine it has much more to offer outdoors and on a sunny day.

Day 2:
17 December 2013
Chilling out in Portland.
Next destination: San Francisco

It's not like I'm writing everyday, just when I feel like there's something to say. Esp when I mess up with random people.

2 commenti:

  1. > The blonde sitting next to me broke the ice.
    Please comment on the blonde's appearance.

    > I didn't even bother looking at them, there was simply too much stuff to be able to contemplate it.
    Bad decision there. There are a shitton of really interesting books in there. This thing is a tourist attraction in and of itself.

    > "A tall light roast, please."
    I should recommend you some coffee shops in San Francisco so you don't have to get shitty Starbucks. Portland has a few good coffee places too but sadly it seems you missed out on that.

    > My experience of Portland was brief, it didn't impress me.
    My sincerest apologies in recommending it to you, then. I thought it was a pretty great city from when I was there, however that was in the spring/summer.

    > I though the US would be much cheaper than Canada, I find that for common items the price difference is marginal.
    Depends what you define common items as. There is no sales tax in Oregon on anything except prepared food, vs. 12% in BC. Groceries are much much cheaper (eggs, milk, and especially meat).

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Blonde was a 6/10 tops.Pretty much same age as mine. I don't even think she was a natural blonde.

      No apologies dude, the only thing I was concerned was safety, and it was pretty safe as you told me. Anyway I guess traveling in winter sucks cause it's dark at 4:30 pm and there's not much to do if you don't know the places.I think my trip to Porland was pretty fun! And thanks also for the other tips you mentioned.

      Elimina